+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Is there a bracket that can be used to install new light fixtures in a smaller box?

My husband is looking to install a couple of new light fixtures in our house, built in 1939. The electrical boxes are smaller than what the current fixtures will fit into.
    Is there a bracket that can be purchased to allow the new fixture to be used in the old box without tearing apart the ceiling?

Default Re: Is there a bracket that can be used to install new light fixtures in a smaller bo

The light fixture you'll purchase will include a bracket that can be mounted on different size boxes. If not, such a bracket can be bought separately.

Default Re: Is there a bracket that can be used to install new light fixtures in a smaller bo

Thanks.
    Actually, we already have the light fixture and it doesn't fit with the old box. Is there a name for the bracket we need to purchase?

Don't know the name of it, but you'll know it when you see it.

There is a bracket that is about 3/4" wide and 3-1/2" long with slots at each end. The slot allows installation on smaller boxes. From there long screws attach to the bracket to hang the light fixture.

Another style is the same as described above, but with a second piece of the same description attached at it's middle that swivels. This allows for wall mounts where the box orientation is not correct.

I'd post pictures, but Google wasn't cooperating.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Here is a similar picture of what it would look like
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...V2fREnQRVdrhhw
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

If it's the kind of box that lacks a pair of threaded tabs a the edge, it will instead have a female threaded hole at the center. You need to get the right threaded nipple and then a threaded bar adapter to fit a two-hole fixture to that kind of early box.
    Occasionally the box will have a built-in nipple with outside threads, with the wires emerging through this hole; you then use an adapter known as a "Hickey" to attach the nipple and a bar adapter as with the other style.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.