+ Reply to Thread

Default Raising the Trade Over Siding

I want to install a patio in my back yard. Unfortunately, the yard pitches slightly towards the house, so I have to raise the patio grade about 4" over the first row of siding. I cannot regrade the back hard because there is very little topsoil before I hit rock ledge. Is there any way to remove the first two rows of siding and weatherproof it so that I can raise the grade?

Default Re: Raising the Trade Over Siding

what type of siding do you have?, wood, vinyl, aluminum, fibre cement?
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Raising the Grade Over Siding

I have cedar shakes

There isn't any safe way to bury framing below grade, unless it was lumber certified for ground contact, and even then it can still transfer moisture to other untreated wood.
    So even if you tore off the siding and used vinyl-coated aluminum coil stock to fashion a flashing system over the framing, it would still be vulnerable to moisture and inevitably insect and rot damage.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I agree with the above answer: you'll be looking for trouble if you did what you were thinking, no matter how well you'd think you did it.

Default Re: Raising the Grade Over Siding

I was afraid that would be the case. I had thought about taking the first course of shakes off, putting on Ice & Water Shield, and then flashing. But since i plan on staying in this house until they carry me out, it is probably not a good idea. Guess that's why they had a deck there in the first place.

is hiring a landscaping crew to properly grade the yard out of the question? via removing 5 or 6" of topsoil at the house then creating proper grade?
    fire up the saw and make some dust

What I have done in instances like this is to grade a slope away from the house out 6' - 10'. The fall should be a minimum of 1/8" per foot, better is 1/4" per foot. The closer to the house you stay, the more slope you should have.

Once you have the grade away from the house, you then bring the back portion of the yard to converge at the same point, thus creating a trough.

You can either install a drain within the trough to take the water away or you can continue grading the soil to the sides and around the house to do the same.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!