+ Reply to Thread

Default How do you replace damaged logs in a log home?

We have several logs that have been damaged in our home by a ant infestation several years ago. How would we go about removing the damaged logs and replacing them.

Default Re: How do you replace damaged logs in a log home?

I've never done such a repair, and I haven't seen it done, either. But it sounds like a major project.

I would guess that you would use whatever means necessary to remove the damaged log (properly supporting the logs above it, of course). Then you would split the replacement log, sandwiching it into place, then bolting it together.

But I could be wrong. I probably am.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I agree it sounds like it could be a major project. I would try to get some guidance from a log home manufacturer. This has to be an issue that they have to deal with from time to time.

There are people in the log home industry that specialize in this. It can be done, but some of the techniques used depend on the type of logs that were used to build your house. Special tools are sometimes needed.

Sometimes, only the outer half of the log needs to be replaced. The excavate the outer half and put in a half log to replace it. Sometimes, if it is just a cavity problem, they will excavate the cavity, use a filler, then put on a veneer log to cover it. None of this is a DIY type project, except maybe the last one.

There are two prominent products for treating logs, Timbor and Boracare. You should look into these and choose one.

Keith is right, normally only the damaged sections would be removed and new timber 'spliced' back in. How depends on the type of construction, there are a few.

I like the boracare, it penetrates like crazy! Although classed as 'safe' take the health and safety sheet if you buy it. Make no mistake, it is a serious chemical and you must wear proper protection to stop it getting inside you!

We are lucky, not much eats our cabins here in Norway, too blooming cold for the bugs!
    Hanging with Hidden Content , free professional help with your DIY questions.