+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom remodel - how to start?

I want to replace my master bath vanity, sink, shower/tub. How do I start? I went to Lowe's and looked at vanities and showers, picked up brochures, etc, but how do I get something that fits the space I have? Obviously, showers and vanities come in different sizes so how do I find one that will fit my current space exactly?

Also, for the shower, I do not want to go with one of those tub and shower systems that just goes over what you currently have. I want the old stuff out and the new stuff in.

Default Re: Bathroom remodel - how to start?

99% of tubs in the USA are standard 5 foot in length. If yours is very close to that , then odds are yours is 5 feet too. Tubs are installed stud to stud, with that space being 60". Some framing making a little more wiggle room. Tubs are sold as right or left handed. To determine yours, stand outside your tub facing the tub, if the water is on the left hand side you have a left handed tub.

Vanities vary in depth from 19" to 21" with some as deep as 24" Width varies, but the standard increments are 24, 30, 36, 48 and 60. Yours may be custom made. Vanity tops are usually one or 2 inches wider to allow for 1" of overhang on each side. Counter tops are usually 1" deeper to allow for overhang on the front too.

measure a few dozen times.

Yes, get your tape measure, and if you don't have one, go and buy one, and jot down your existing measurements.

When we do remodeling, we basically custom finish each job, even when we use std fixtures. There is always a 1/4" to fill here and 1/2" to cover there.

If you remove a bath and shower set with a bath tub, then you want to tile the wall, and that becomes a custom job.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    99% of tubs in the USA are standard 5 foot in length. If yours is very close to that , then odds are yours is 5 feet too. Tubs are installed stud to stud, with that space being 60". Some framing making a little more wiggle room. Tubs are sold as right or left handed. To determine yours, stand outside your tub facing the tub, if the water is on the left hand side you have a left handed tub.

Vanities vary in depth from 19" to 21" with some as deep as 24" Width varies, but the standard increments are 24, 30, 36, 48 and 60. Yours may be custom made. Vanity tops are usually one or 2 inches wider to allow for 1" of overhang on each side. Counter tops are usually 1" deeper to allow for overhang on the front too.

measure a few dozen times.
    Thanks for the response. The vanity is 53" wide from wall to bathroom closet. It does have an overhang. How do I know what to get with such an odd measurement? I'm not that lucky to find one that is going to be an exact fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Yes, get your tape measure, and if you don't have one, go and buy one, and jot down your existing measurements.

When we do remodeling, we basically custom finish each job, even when we use std fixtures. There is always a 1/4" to fill here and 1/2" to cover there.

If you remove a bath and shower set with a bath tub, then you want to tile the wall, and that becomes a custom job.
    The shower/tub wall is already tiled. That is going to go with the rest of the old shower/tub. We would prefer something easier to clean.
    What do you use to fill the 1/4"and 1/2" gaps? What if the new tub is too long?

if your looking for something easier to clean. look into a all in one fibreglass tub and shower unit. cheaper overall, less work involved.

as for if the tub is too long, check with a plumbing wholesaler to see if they may have smaller units available as compared to a big box store

as for getting started, you should get in contact with a genereal contractor who does bathrooms if your skill set isnt up to doing this project, from there you will need a plumber and electrician to take care of moving any pipes and replacing any pipes that are in rough shape.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

a 53" vanity will be custom made