+ Reply to Thread

Default Selecting a Stain/Finish for Virgin Wood

I'm making a counter for the top of my washer/dryer. I'll have to work with virgin aspen (72"x24"x). Being a soft wood, should I use a wood conditioner (like Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner)for even absorbtion of the stain? Also, with using a conditioner, should I use a water-base or oil-base stain? I'm thinking a polyurethane varnish (oil base) or latex varnish (water base?) for a protective top coat. Which should I use?

Default Re: Selecting a Stain/Finish for Virgin Wood

Where is this washer and dryer to deserve such a countertop ?

If these are somewhat hidden, I would probably go with building a top with formica.

That said, I've never worked with that species of wood, but if it's that soft, I would probably go with a conditioner as you've stated. Also consider a gel stain. I've used it a couple of times and it seems to be more forgiving... I really like using it.

Default Re: Selecting a Stain/Finish for Virgin Wood

Thank you, Peter. I got the idea from a magazine. I considered formica but it would have to be custom cut at Lowes --- more pricey than I want to spend. Thought of plywood and a formica overlay but no tools to cut all that.

The aspen is a piece of hobby wood (72" x 24" x 3/4"). I will cut it down to 68" long. Aspen is a soft wood. I would have preferred oak but could not find it pre-assembled in the above dimentions and, again, I don't have the tools to do it myself.

Thanks for the advice!