+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Master Bedroom Renovation

Inspired by the coming of a new addition to the family we are moving to the upper level of our 1910 Craftsman home. To make the room a master bedroom we want to knock out the two walls to open the room more. On one wall we will put an open closet and the other built in drawers. The question is can we knock down the current walls with out any structural repercussions? I do not know enough about construction in 1910 to know if the walls are keeping the trusses from separating or if they are there for weight bearing purposes. Any advice or suggestions would be wonderful.

The link below is a youtube video of the room.

youtube.com/watch?v=UCthaoeA36U

Default Re: Master Bedroom Renovation

Howdy, one needs to determine if the walls are bearing the weight of the attic and or roof or not. Likely you will need to temp brace ceiling to keep from collapsing the building members and install a beam to carry the weight. So have a contractor out to inspect and tell you what is needed and the costs.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

What Tim said plus;

Most older homes weren't built to withstand adding more load. perhaps an engineer or architect would be a good second step after speaking with a knowledgeable contractor.

The above answers summed it all, plus only an engineer will give you the best answer to your questions.

An engineer is unnecessary most of the time. A good experienced contractor is usually enough of a knowledge base. If they aren't then they didn't fit the above criteria. Without seeing the situation nobody here can tell you for certain whether your idea will be as simple as it seems. My experience tells me that you will likely have some structural work to deal with- but it also says this is do-able with the cost and extent of the work needed being the bigger question.

Phil

An experienced contractor could advise you if those walls are structural bearing however, it's best to have an engineer or architect design the appropriate changes.
    Besides , many building departments want to see professional stamped drawings when you apply for the permits.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush