+ Reply to Thread

Default Source for cedar

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a source for structural cedar on the east coast. I live near the Baltimore area. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-Walt

Default Re: Source for cedar

what is the cedar for, typically cedar isnt a very strong species of wood. its known mainly for its resistance to decay when exposed to teh elements.

anyhow your best bet is to talk to the guys on the contractors desk at a true lumberyard.. ones that pro's use. bigbox stores have limited access to this sort of thing and hardly every do special orders
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Cedar was being pushed in the 1920's for wood framed homes by lumber companies on the west coast. They may however have required using large framing members. Although full dimension lumber and thicker floor joists were common. Where 6" or 8" joists are used now, it was more common to see 8" or 10" joists then.

A good independent lumber yard in an area with a lot of historic homes might be able to help you.

You might do a web search as well for cedar and dimensional lumber strength. THere should be an certified standard for different species fo wood.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

We are replacing a deck on our house that uses beams that are integrated into the structure of the house. Fir is what was there before....but that has all rotted. We plan to cut the bad parts of the beams off...and build a stand alone deck that is no longer tied into the house structure. These beams are big 4"x12" nominal. The beams are on 8 foot centers and are very visible from the first floor. I do not want to use PT as these elements are so prominent. If not cedar nor PT, what would these things be made of? Cypress? I think redwood is out of consideration due to cost.

BTW...the actually decking material is 4"x6" (typically 16 foot long) boards that span between the 8' beams. I would rather not use PT there either.