+ Reply to Thread

Default cracked pvc floor drain

Folks.. I have a pvc garage floor drain that runs to the outer wall and discharges to the ground. This is Michigan and the water has frozen at the 90 elbow as it exits the outer wall.. the pvc is obviously cracked because water now runs down the outer wall into the basement. DO you think I could pour asphalt driveway sealer down the drain to seal the crack? Other ideas? I don't want to have to rip up the concrete.

Default Re: cracked pvc floor drain

Howdy having to clean out a tarr mess too...
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

I don't want to have to rip up the concrete.
    Why not?? Jack hammers are waaaaaaaaay cool.

The only good remedy starts with cutting the concrete. Any other idea won't work.

If you have Hernia, the surgeon has to cut you up to do the repair. He won't shove tar or glue down your throat.

If the water drained properly there would have not been a freezing problem in the first place, so you've got more than an elbow to worry about here. You need to find out why there was enough standing water in the piping to allow freeze-cracking in the first place before you do any repairs.

The pipe itself may or may not be OK but you're going to have to expose it to know for sure. A small rotary hammer can be rented for the demo and you need just enough space around the pipe to do the work so you might not need to demo much concrete, but that will depend on how extensive the damage is.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    If the water drained properly there would have not been a freezing problem in the first place, so you've got more than an elbow to worry about here. You need to find out why there was enough standing water in the piping to allow freeze-cracking in the first place before you do any repairs.

The pipe itself may or may not be OK but you're going to have to expose it to know for sure. A small rotary hammer can be rented for the demo and you need just enough space around the pipe to do the work so you might not need to demo much concrete, but that will depend on how extensive the damage is.

Phil
    Thanks Phil... I'll tackle this in the spring.