+ Reply to Thread

Question Source for antique wash basin style sink??

I have spent months searching for an antique wash basin style sink to install in one of the bathrooms of our historic home. All of the available vessel sinks seem to be made in futuristic styles!!! Modern sinks lack the charm & classic lines of the old ironstone wash basins, which had a footed base & rolled rim. Does anyone know of a source for an authentic style sink? Otherwise, I have considered having an old wash basin drilled & fitted for a drain but don't know if that would even be possible. I am aware that drilling glass or pottery requires water to cool a bit or hole saw. Any information about this topic would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Pamby; 01-29-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Default Re: Source for antique wash basin style sink

Not sure what you are looking for but you might try http://rensup.com/

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, Jack. I checked out Renovator's Supply earlier today but rechecked after seeing your reply. Unfortunately, all of their porcelain vessel sinks are modern styles, nothing that would look appropriate for our 1851 house. It's hard to believe that with so much focus on authentic hardware & plumbing styles, I can't find what I'm looking for. I'm sure others would be interested in buying this style, too.

Pamby, if you are talking about a vessel like the bowl in a pitcher and bowl set, you might try looking into local ceramics places. That is places that do and teach ceramics. The drain hole could then be cut and shaped before the bowl is fired and the decorating could be done to match your decor. The ceramic hobbyists would probably welcome the challenge and a chance to help pay for their hobby.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 01-27-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

try new england salvage of new bedford mass. you can google their web site. they have a huge inventory of classic tubs and sinks

check ebay. I know someone who was able to locate a 100 year old cast iron farm house sink to install in her home there. HOpe this helps!