Default Which horsepower garbage disposal should I get?

Does anyone have a recommendation for which horsepower garbage disposal my fiance and I should get for our home?

We don't have any children and we both work during the week, so it would be used primarily at night, after we eat dinner together. We are usually home during the weekends, however, so it would probably see heavier usage then.

Thanks,
    Erik

Default Re: Which horsepower garbage disposal should I get?

I always recommend 3/4 hp if your staying in the house. Usually a 3/4 model will have better sound insulation also.

Shaun

the bigger the better, but anything above 1/2 horse power should suffice.

Unless you have a septic system and then you shouldn't have any.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I currently have a septic tank but will be switching to town sewerage within the next couple of months. Why are you saying we shouldn't have a garbage disposal?

it puts to more solids in a septic system then it can break down, causing it to fill up to fast and can also cause drain field lines to be plugged. and for this reason it is usually against building code for you to have a garbage disposal with a septic system. of course you don't have this problem on a city sewage system so no problem because it is all handled differently.

if you do have a septic system you can purchase a special garbage disposal, i believe insinkerator makes one, designed for septic systems. it grinds things up smaller and it also comes with an attached dispenser of of some sort that shoots enzymes into the mix to help break down the food in the septic tank. generally you're not supposed to use a disposal with a septic system and if you do, you're advised not to put meat products in the disposal.

3/4 hp is the ideal range for a garbage disposal for me.