+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default flat to semi gloss paint

What can I put in a sample jar of flat paint to make it semigloss?
    I dislike having to buy a whole quart for patch-up

Default Re: flat to semi gloss paint

Nothing, go buy the correct paint.

Flat, eggshell, semi-gloss, and gloss paints all have a different base formulations. There is nothing you can add to it that will change it from one thing to another, which means that if you want a decent match you'll have to have the correct paint mixed for the job.

It is important to note that if the paint on the wall is over a year or so old, your touch-up will stand out like a sore thumb. Once a wall is painted, it begins collecting dirt and the color fades. Fresh paint from a can will leave a noticeable spot. To alleviate this, you paint the entire wall out to natural breaks like corners, so that quart of paint you don't think you need may very likely turn into several quarts.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well now Ordjen...lets not be so hasty!
    "Alchemy" may still be possible....!

He's correct though. NOTHING like that is possible.
    Buy the Qt.

When touching up, ball up an old washcloth...the kind with the "nibs". LIGHTLY puff on the paint. BARELY touch the wall with it!

The whole idea is to just barely apply anything. Build up hazy little puffs of paint a few minutes apart. This method results in better touch-ups 'cuz the hazy little puffs of paint dry faster, and without the heavy film-build that most people tend to apply.

I always tell my customers..."If it doesn't look like enough, leave it! Just puff on another hazy layer in 15 minutes. Repeat as necessary."

Faron

Jeez Faron, I didn't even comment on this post! Blame Spruce!

Actually, with some types of finishes such as automotive paint, the sheen can be adjusted by use of different reducers (thinners). Old fashioned low sheen varnish also had chemicals in it to control the sheen. If you did not stir up that foggy looking stuff on the bottom of the can, the varnish would be glossy instead of satin or flat.

However, I know of no additive that will alter the sheen of paint. The paint sheen is generally a function of how fine the pigment is ground, and the ratio of resin to pigment.Glossier paints are generally more expensive than flat because it costs more to mill the pigment finer. This also relates to why glossy paints like to run and sag more.

As to touch-up techniques: I like to stir up the gallon of paint, close the can and turn it upside down. When re-opened,I now hold the lid in my hand to use as a palette. With the other hand, I hold a roller cover. I dip one end of the roller cover into the paint on the lid and just dab the touch up area. Sometimes I give the roller cover a slight rolling action.

I always advise people to do the bare minimum when touching up. The larger the area gets, the more likely it is to be noticed, unless of course, you do a whole wall section. Your eye is being drawn to some imperfection. Do the absolute minimum to cover that spot.

***....I DO need glasses!!

Sorry 'bout that!

Faron

I have to say, this has given me a big chuckle! It's not often I can get someone else in trouble. I kind of like it!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

OK then Spruce....stop the emails to me imploring me to get Ordjen in trouble.....(hee-hee)!

Faron

Quote Originally Posted by Faron View Post
    OK then Spruce....stop the emails to me imploring me to get Ordjen in trouble.....(hee-hee)!

Faron
    Aw, he can handle it.

thanks for the info. Maybe I'll just cover it with clear nail polish. Just kidding. Hmmm. maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by janeowprice View Post
    thanks for the info. Maybe I'll just cover it with clear nail polish. Just kidding. Hmmm. maybe....
    You could clear coat it with polyurethane or lacquer, but why purposely do something wrong when you can do it the proper way for less money? Just buy the right sheen of paint and repaint your walls and be done with it.