+ Reply to Thread

Default Tiling a kitchen floor: under cabinets or stop at cabinets

Here's an old discussion, we talked about in the past.
    We had a lot of disagreements about which way is better: tile under cabinets or right to the cabinets.

Last week I faced an old kitchen with a leaky dishwasher. The problem: Tiles were set up to the cabinets. The tile layer set the 6"x16" tiles over 3/4" cement and sand mix, and I needed to get the dishwasher out over that...Why did he do this? nobody knows, not even the homeowner.

I had to break off 5 tiles, the 3/4" base under those tiles to get the dishwasher out. Replace the leaky discharge hose. Then put the dishwasher back in place, pour some new base material and retile (luckily the homeowner had some spare tiles).

A $200 quick job became a $800 long job in a hurry.

Default Re: Tiling a kitchen floor: under cabinets or stop at cabinets

Nobody knows why people do the things they do, sometimes people want to save the cabinets and just replace the flooring and countertops to save money, thats when we run into your situation,I just had to do some troubleshooting in a newer home that had a 50 amp line that ran the old electric range, now the new kitchen has a gas range,they took the old 50 amp line and ran a sub-panel to feed 4-15amp lighting circuts and 4-20 amp appliance circuts,and hid the sub-panel under one of the base cabinets, this is all ok with me, except nobody knew it was under there, I traced the wiring back behind one ofthe cabinets and found the panel, the thing I don't get is there were 16 spaces available in the main panel! So sometimes we never know what people are thinking,but it keeps use busy figuring it out! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Last week I faced an old kitchen with a leaky dishwasher. The problem: Tiles were set up to the cabinets. The tile layer set the 6"x16" tiles over 3/4" cement and sand mix, and I needed to get the dishwasher out over that...Why did he do this? nobody knows, not even the homeowner.
    God, I hope you didn't need any Da Vinci Maui tile!

It was likely part of a remodel and the homeowner either didn't want to pull the cabinets and raise them, or raise the countertops to accommodate the new floor height and inability to remove the dishwasher because of the added expense. Either that or the installer didn't want to approach the homeowner with a change order that would result in them having to do more work.

Was the floor installed by this owner or the previous owner?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I was visiting a friends house when he proudly showed off his new tiled kitchen which he had done for much lower than I would have quoted. Then I asked if he ever cleaned his stove. Puzzled, he said yes and asked why. I showed him his Craig's List tile man had tiled over the legs of his stove.

He also tiled the dishwasher into place.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Puzzled, he said yes and asked why. I showed him his Craig's List tile man had tiled over the legs of his stove.

He also tiled the dishwasher into place.
    But hey, he got a hell of a price, so it all works out.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce,

The homeowners put the tile in, and naively mentioned to me that "we asked our tile setter not to put any thinset under the tiles close to the dishwasher..." - well, not only did he put thinset, he also put that mortar mix over metal mesh. And all of this on a raised floor.

It was really a remodel job and the cabinets (plus the granite top) were too much to move, but why the 3/4" thick base as hard as concrete over a raised foundation floor?

The tiles themselves were pretty nice actually, 6x16 in a nice design. They were not DaVinci Maui tiles (I swear, if I hear that name again, I...)

Houston,

Incompetent subs are everywhere, and I have the stories to back it up. Buyers beware and should not let any x, y, z contractor in their homes. You get what you pay for.

Were it not for the homeowner getting screwed by the tiler, and the poor guy having to do all the extra work that shouldn't have been needed, I'd be laughing my butt off.

Me to homeowner: "We can do it right, and it will cost $XXX. We can save money by doing XXX. You can get someone else to do it cheaper but you'll regret it later I promise you. I won't cut corners they will, and that's why they're cheaper. You pay your money and take your choice- and you take your chances with them."

That almost always gets me the job If not it gets me their next job when they finally see what I meant!

Phil