+ Reply to Thread

Default 1947 ranch house- to stain or not to stain floor?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just bought a 1947 Ranch style house. The living room is all redwood with fir floors that have been stained to match the walls. We are in a quandary as to what to do with the floor. My husband likes the rustic look of the old floors, and doesn't want to refinish them or change the color, but I'm bothered by the way everything in the room is the same color. We also have a lot of wood furniture and I'm afraid everything is just going to blend together. I'm wondering if we should refinish it and leave it natural with no colored stains. (Floors are fir) Does anyone know what the period look would be? All one color with the red stain or a more "natural" non-color coating on the floor? Any suggestions or opinions?

Default Re: 1947 ranch house- to stain or not to stain floor?

Whereas sanding could certainly lighten up the room, personally I don't care for multi-toned woodgrains in the same area. Have you considered large area rugs? They could be relatively plain or, an oriental or western pattern might be interesting. These would fit into the rustic mode, but allow you to break up the overdose of woodtone.

I suspect that your room is also acoustically live, kind of echoey. Area rugs would dampen the sound, making listening to TV or stereo more pleasurable.

I have indeed thought about area rugs. In fact that's probably what we'll end up doing since I'm pregnant and under some time constraints to move in.. The floor isn't in great shape, which is why I wanted to refinish it, but it's not a disaster either. Is there something I could use to clean it up a little that wouldn't involve refinishing? Thanks for your input!

Water is the enemy of wood floors. If you use water at all, it should only be on wrung out,dampened towels, never flowing water.

Most of the wood flooring manufacturers make or recommend floor cleaners and polishes which do not contain water. There are also many products designed to touch up scratches and imperfections.