Hi. We have a detached garage that has water seep in when it rains heavy, mainly because of all the water running over from our next door neighbor's yard. I had put some boards along the line a few years ago to try and direct the water another direction and that worked for a while, but now a lot of mud and crap from his yard has built up against the wood making it almost pointless. We have a 3ft wide area of gravel between our garage and his yard, but the garage still gets standing water in it. That's problem number 1.

Our other issue is the opposite side of the garage...our yard. Our house sits up about 3ft higher than the yard (slight hill when you walk out the back door). The yard for the neighbors behind us is probably more like 5 or 6 feet higher than our yard. There used to be a creek where our back yard is...a long time ago. Anyways, now whenever it rains heavy or a lot of snow melts, etc. our yard turns to a big sloppy mess and even involves giant puddles at times. It gets water from our drive, neighboring homes, and our garage runoff. There's a city ordinance (because of some annoying former neighbor) that says we can't have gutters on detached garages so we can't do anything to catch the rainwater off our garage. Any suggestions?? I'd like to get a rain barrel, but if I can't get a gutter and downspout, there's no point. Please help!