+ Reply to Thread

Default Flooring Engineered or Laminate

I guess my post got lost.On flooring which is best to use engineered or laminate on concrete.What type of sub floor to use over concrete with either one?Should I remove quarter round and replace after floor is laid?

Default Re: Flooring Engineered or Laminate

you have to remove the 1/4 yes. as for a sublfloor it depends on a couple things. do you want a warmer floor and do you have any doors that the floor will pass under

if you build a subfloor you can insulate between sleepers or just use drylock subfloor which will make for a warmer floor. but by doing this any existing doors will need to be cut down

personally i would spend the extra money on engineered, its a better higher durability product
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Jkirk is right - laminate is hot now and everybody is putting it in, but you know, it's not so good with wetness and high traffic. Even if your treat laminate with silk gloves...it won't last more than 10 years (under normal to rough conditions).

Another advantage of engineered is that many varieties come with a thick top veneer which will allow at least one re-sanding down the line. The engineered is also dimensionally more stable than straight wood flooring.

Thanks for the input.I still would like some info on sub floor.I have a concrete slab and in places where the carpet tack was laid there are imperfections.Should these be filled?If I choose engineered flooring or laminate should I use a plywood sub floor.1/4 or 1/2 inch if I use plywood. Yes I know the door jambs and doors will have to be cut in order for flooring to pass under it.Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by tggringo View Post
    Thanks for the input.I still would like some info on sub floor.I have a concrete slab and in places where the carpet tack was laid there are imperfections.Should these be filled?If I choose engineered flooring or laminate should I use a plywood sub floor.1/4 or 1/2 inch if I use plywood. Yes I know the door jambs and doors will have to be cut in order for flooring to pass under it.Thanks again for the help.
    I installed Kahr's engineered flooring in my last house over slab. The only prep I worried about was to float out the transitions from the vinyl to bare slab. The holes around the perimeter left by the carpet tack isn't a big deal because there is still plenty of support for the laminate/wood to span the relatively small holes left by the nails holding the tack in place.

Were I to do it again, I would remove the vinyl because that transition was noticeable, even though it was floated out. I may have been the only one to notice it, but since it was my house that is all that matters. Other than that, I'd do engineered wood flooring again.

The reason I chose Kahr's was for the exact reason that ordjen addresses. At the time, Kahr's had the thickest finished wood layer of any engineered flooring of about 1/8". Oh, and this brings me to one other thing I'd do differently, I'd do the finish in place rather than factory finish, even though the factory finish is tougher. The reason for this is that no matter how good the install and no matter how smooth the base is, there will still be minor imperfections from board to board. Again, I may be the only one to notice, but if this is going in my home I want a baby's butt smooth finish.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tggringo View Post
    No plywood is needed for engineered flooring, whether you glue down or float it. Small holes in the slab can stay, large one should be filled. If you have crackes, fill them with elastomeric caulk.

If you float your floor, a moisture barrier is needed.

Laminate can go on concrete without plywood. Just a foam barrier.

Smile Re: Flooring Engineered or Laminate

I just wanted to say thank you for the information.