+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Sprinkler System Removal

Hi all,

In the process of bidding on a single family that was previously a nursing home. There's a sprinkler system in the house that I'd like removed.

I've heard from one person that if it's under a contract of some sort, the company that installed it will need to be paid to remove it.

If that's not the case, I'd prefer to hire someone to drain the unit, then sell the scrap metal.

Do any of you know procedure for removing a system like this?

Default Re: Sprinkler System Removal

If it is a decent looking system you might want to keep it, you will get a pretty good discount on your homeowners insurance policy, some new houses have to have sprinkler systems installed when they are built now by code. If it is a full system with pull stations and strobes everywhere then I would either change it to deco fixtures or just remove it if you are inclined on doing so! Good Luck!

I agree w/ jled96 abougt leaving the sprinkler if possible. Homeowner sprinklers are a bit different than commercuial systems however and it may be able to be modified to make it more appropriate to a house.
    If you want it removed, anybody can do it. Permits may be required. It will likely be connected to an alarm/alerting system that would need de-activating.

Count me too on keeping the system in place.

More and more areas around the country get the classification of "fire zone" and residential fire sprinklers are being required in more homes than ever, so keeping what you have makes sennse just for resale value.

Add one more vote for keeping the system.

Thanks for all the responses!

It's definitely a very commercial system. Pull boxes, all wiring is currently on exterior of wall, and the sprinklers aren't buried in the ceilings - just the pipes that run exposed through the house.

If it were buried in the ceiling, I'd even leave the pull boxes and take the homeowners credit, but it's just very ugly and exposed.

Assuming I did want to still remove it, what's the best way to go about it? Does the company that did it need to do it? Or can I hire a different company? I assume this could fetch some good scrap on a 3k square foot house...

If you want it removed have a plumber/sprinkler fitter disconnect it for you, make sure there is no contract/lease on the current systems, if it is wired to a central alarm/fire panel that will have to be deactivated and removed,then you can take the sawzall and cut it up and bring it to the scrap yard. I would like to see you keep it, but if it is that ugly I can see why you want it removed, a few suggestions here, you couuld keep all the supplys and maybe in the future you could add some deco heads, and relocate the feeds into the walls, a sprinkler system is a good system to have , as everyone has said (re-sale value),or you could put in drop ceilings, could be drop in panels, or a sheetrock bulkhead, or maybee some false beams to hide the risers and heads. The pull stations can be removed and relocted inside the walls with standard gang boxes! Good Luck!

Thanks, jled. Do you know how to find out if there's a contract on the system? It was a nursing home until 2002 when it was sold as a single family.