+ Reply to Thread

Cool inconsistant mixing valve

I have a Symmons safetymix mixing valve. when we turn on the shower, the water stays hot for a minute or so, then goes cold and we have to readjust the temp again, then it will stay hot. it has worked normally for the past 3 years, how ever it has been doing this more frequently lately. could it be something with the mixing valve.

Default Re: inconsistant mixing valve

How are you making your hot water? It may not be a problem with the valve.

John

John has a good point it may not be the valve some of those valve have a bypass feature though...

Ben's Plumbing
    100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
    (801) 850-9087 ‎
    http://www.benjaminfranklinplumbing.com

Let's read what the poster is saying:

"When we turn the shower, the water stays hot for a minute or so, then goes cold and we have to readjust the temp again, then it will stay hot".

What I see here is that the water heater is supplying enough hot water, because it states that hot water resumes after an adjustment. It could be the balance pressure mixing valve.

If it happened to me and the hot water source is OK, I'd change valves or replace the body (to Moen or Delta) first.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Let's read what the poster is saying:

"When we turn the shower, the water stays hot for a minute or so, then goes cold and we have to readjust the temp again, then it will stay hot".

What I see here is that the water heater is supplying enough hot water, because it states that hot water resumes after an adjustment. It could be the balance pressure mixing valve.

If it happened to me and the hot water source is OK, I'd change valves or replace the body (to Moen or Delta) first.
    dj1, it could be do to a condition called stacking. This is common with tank less water heaters. And it can also happen with a tank type water heater with a bad dip tube.

John

Here is some good reading as to how stacking can take place.

http://waterheatertimer.org/Stacking.html

John