+ Reply to Thread

Default Should an AC unit get the air to the temp on the remote?

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a split AC unit. It's one of those eco-inverter units, and cost me a pretty penny. When I run it, I have the remote set at 68. However, the unit only gets the room down into the low 70's - around 73 or 74 or so.

Should the unit be getting the air down to the actual temperature indicated on the remote? I assume so, especially given the thing is brand new. Hence I've been trying to get warranty maintenance in here to make sure it's working right.

However, I might be too picky here. Are these things always off 5-6 degrees or so anyway? Doesn't seem like it should be so hard to stick a decent temp sensor on those things, but who knows.

thanks for any thoughts!

Default Re: Should an AC unit get the air to the temp on the remote?

Consider contacting the manufacturer for thier knowledge base is superior- they made it. Have the square footage of the rooms involved and how much glass in sq footage the windows are and the exposure direction too. Whom installed it? Ask them?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

The unit should be able to cool the room to temp on remote if it is sized correctly, a lot of things come into play, if there is air infiltration into the room or the unit is too small it might never get to the set temp., or it could have a low charge, a lot of the newer units come pre-charged as long as it is not a long run back to the condenser, on the new energy star units I have noticed they are a couple of degrees difference than what is set on the remote, this may be an allowable difference built into the control itself. If everything is sized properly you should be able to get to 68F, provided it is not over 100 degrees outside, most units will only cool the room 20-30 degrees below outdoor air temp. I would have it checked if it was a new install! Good Luck!

thanks for the replies, folks. It's a small, sealed room, so sounds like it should probably be getting down to the proper temp more or less.

I'm in Panama, and the maintenance guys here often don't care about how good a job they do - they just want to be done with it and not hear back from the customer. Often they'll just keep leaving, hoping the customer gets tired of dealing with them.

I'll keep bugging them until they fix it. Thanks again!

yes from you description it sounds as if it should be able to get to set temp. and maintain temp. If the unit was not installed properly and the lines were not brought down to at least 50 microns before the charge was released, there could be air in the system which is not a good thing,especially in the long term. Sometimes they put the outside unit to close to the wall or some other obstruction, make sure everything is clear and get them back to fix there mistake! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jled96 View Post
    yes from you description it sounds as if it should be able to get to set temp. and maintain temp. If the unit was not installed properly and the lines were not brought down to at least 50 microns before the charge was released, there could be air in the system which is not a good thing,especially in the long term. Sometimes they put the outside unit to close to the wall or some other obstruction, make sure everything is clear and get them back to fix there mistake! Good Luck!

500 microns

*** Sten!, you must have some dual stage vacum pump, last set of lines I had evacuated I could only get 50 microns after 15 minutes,but then my cheapo mastercool pump isn't that powerful.Plus I haven't done much ac work since the service, its been a long time,mostly only do the wiring,ddc contols now. You guys must have some commercial pumps to go that low, those lines must be squeeky clean inside!

Quote Originally Posted by jled96 View Post
    *** Sten!, you must have some dual stage vacum pump, last set of lines I had evacuated I could only get 50 microns after 15 minutes,but then my cheapo mastercool pump isn't that powerful.Plus I haven't done much ac work since the service, its been a long time,mostly only do the wiring,ddc contols now. You guys must have some commercial pumps to go that low, those lines must be squeeky clean inside!

You may have to leave it on longer and if it still doesn't bring it down to 500 have your pump looked at. In two -three years you or someone else will be back replacing the compressor.

Cool Re: Should an AC unit get the air to the temp on the remote?

Thanks Sten, I have never given it much thought since I did that condenser job, a buddy of mine just bought his house and the condenser burnt up, so being a friend of mine I got a new unit and brazed it in for him, its been about 8 years now and its still going, Thank god! I wouldn't have wanted to get that call after 2 years if the compressor locked up! We used to just bury the needle at 30 inches on the guage and charge em up. Things have sure come a long way since then!Thanks for the info, I wull tell my son to check that pump if he ever has to use it again and my yellow jacket guage set is almost 20 years old now so I guess it is pretty much useless since r-22 units are pretty much extinct now. Thanks Again!