+ Reply to Thread

Default Stack Vent / 3 layers of shingles

Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can give me a little info. I'm under contract to buy an old house (built in 1910) in southern CT. The inspector and I found ourselves up in the attic, and noticed that the stack vent terminates in the attic, and doesn't extend through the roof. Must have made for a very smelly attic. Anyway, we also noticed that the roof has three layers of shingles, and I believe that is one layer too many for CT building code. For some reason, the seller is refusing to extend the vent through the roof for us prior to closing, he is leaving that for us to repair. (This is an estate sale, the seller is in CA and I have to assume that he wants as little to do with home repair as possible)

My question is, is there a reason it would not have been vented to the outside when the house was built, or was the roofer just having an off day? Also, am I going to have an issue installing a roof vent through three layers of shingles? Thanks guys.

Default Re: Stack Vent / 3 layers of shingles

There is no reason for it to not have gone through the roof, plus I,m sure it is a code violation. As far as going through three layers of shingles the roof boot for the pipe only has to go under the top layer of shingles to be water tight.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    There is no reason for it to not have gone through the roof, plus I,m sure it is a code violation. As far as going through three layers of shingles the roof boot for the pipe only has to go under the top layer of shingles to be water tight.

John
    Agreed.

Since all things are negotiable, then you either buy the structure as is or you negotiate a reduction in price commensurate with remediation costs, or you walk away.

The current owner doesn't have to pay out of pocket to have repairs done, tradesmen can bill and be paid out of escrow before money changes hands between the buyer and seller.

Most title companies have minimum standard requirements that a home must meet before it can be sold. Lenders also have similar requirements. For instance, when it comes to pest repairs, title 1 issues (active pest or rot ) must be mitigated prior to sale. Title 2 issues (cosmetic ) don't. Certain lenders require both title 1 and title 2 issues to be corrected (VA loans ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Howdy that smell is rot- fungus- mold need to find out how extensive the restoration costs will be before you buy!

3 layers does not meet code put in you offer the roof has to be brought up to code before purchase. Sounds like you might want a structural engineer to do a home inspection too. Being informed then you can compute the costs to make it correct or on to another home.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

If the house is sold as is and you are already under contact it's a little late to do much negotiating. You can pray that you can't get financing.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the responses. The inspector didn't find that the roof was failing, only that it had three layers. I know that its out of code, but I don't think that's enough for us to walk away from this property. The house isn't being sold as is, we have our list of required repairs, and if they don't want to do any of them, then we can still walk away. Certainly not praying that we can't get financing. I didn't want to give the impression that the house is falling down, the vent was just a strange thing, and I'm sure the roof was just a lazy thing. Neither one is enough to scare us away from the property, though they will need to repair or drop the price accordingly.

One thing I would check into. If a building inspection was done and some code violations were found this report is going to be required by your insurance company. They may require that the violations be repaired before they will issue a policy. I have run into this when buying investment property in my state. And I must say some of the violations were not that serious.

John

Unfortunately buyers of properties lose most of their leverage once they sign ESCROW INSTRUCTIONS. If you have conditions in those instructions, like subject to your uncle's inspection of the property or subject to being able to obtain financing, you may find a way to get out of the contract.

However, if you bolt out, you may be pinned for LIQUIDATED DAMAGES, meaning: you probably won't see your initial deposit.

At this moment, the worst that can happen is that you'll have to bring your roof and vent up to code, when shopping for an insurance policy.

I can't speak to the roof or any other issues you may have, but if you have decent DIY skills and the top layer of shingles is standard composition, extending the vent through the roof is a fairly easy job that would probably cost less than $20 for materials.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.