+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Engineered Hardwood Floor Installation

I am renovating my kitchen and have decided to lay an engineered hardwood for my floor. My question is what is the best way to lay this floor? I have 2 layers of flooring one being linoleum and a vinyl tile I'm guessing is asbestos, both of which are stuck down quite well. Under this there is 3/4" T&G subfloor. I spoke with an installer at Lumber Liquidators and he said I won't be able to staple the new floor through the existing layers. His basic reasoning was that the staple will deflect off of the old floor and not be adhered. What other options do I have (other than floating laminate which I don't want to do)? Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Floor Installation

In this situation your best bet would be to use a floating engineered floor. You can just glue the planks together and the floor floats on the thin vapor barrier/pad that separates the engineered floor from the flooring beneath.

I did a floating engineered floor in my house because I have radiant heat and did not want to put any nails or staples in. It has been in for about 4 years now with no problems and it looks like real wood because the face is real wood unlike the laminates.

The other option is to glue the floor down but if you ever want or need to change it then your pretty much in the same boat you are in now.

Good luck with your project

Mike