+ Reply to Thread

Default New Dryer exhaust from Basement

I'm trying to run a new 4" dryer duct outside. I've run into an issue with space. The diameter of the hole in the photo is a little over 4". I've test fit a section of 4" duct and it fit nicely so the diameter is correct. The issue is that I'm not sure how much of the shown wood I can cut. I'm already right up against the subfloor and it looks like I'm going to have to cut some of the concrete that is showing right at the bottom of the hole. One of my main questions is what is the piece of wood right above the drill hole? In general can I cut the 4" through here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	2350  

Default Re: New Dryer exhaust from Basement

Howdy, hard to see in the photo but appears to be the foundation plate that the floor joists are then nailed to. Before you go further, how close to the ground will your hole be in the concrete- the last thing you want is surface water coming into the basement if your hole is at grade level. Are you up against the floors joist or the plywood sub floor. If it is a joist that is not sitting on the foundation do not notch it if you are in the center 1/3 of the joist span. Because notching in this 1/3 will greatly reduce the bearing strength of the floor joist.