+ Reply to Thread

Default Efflorescence, Latex Leaching, or what?

On the backsplash around the counter in my master bathroom, there is a white powder that has formed on the grout between the tiles. It appears to only form on the grout. It has formed several times over the last few years and my wife usually just brushes or washes it off. The tile is behind the sinks in the counter but the grout and tiles do not get wet. I have the same tile and grout in the master shower and no white powder forms there where the grout is subjected to a lot of moisture.

Any ideas as to what this white powder may be and how to prevent it from forming? I have heard that sealing the grout may help. I have no idea whether the grout was sealed when it was installed. Is that a solution or is there something else?

Default Re: Efflorescence, Latex Leaching, or what?

I couldn't post pictures with the original post because I have not posted 10 times. This should be number 9.

And number 10. Kind of ridiculous to not be able to post a picture to show the problem because I have not posted enough times.

Ok, here are some pictures.

Thanks for any answers you might give me.

that does look like efflorence. but based on where it is the first thing that comes to mind is that there might be a leak behind the wall causing the drywall to breakdown so the gypsum is coming through. its kinda hard to say without actually seeing it in person

push in on the wall directly above the tile does the drywall feel spongy at all you dont need much force
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I agree, it looks like efflorescence, but given where it's at this should NOT be the case. Efflorescence comes from moisture wicking through cement, bringing with it the minerals trapped within. This is most commonly seen in basements with earth contact on the outside and high water tables. You should not have this problem on a bathroom wall, especially if over drywall.

It is possible that high humidity could be pulling the salts through the grout, but even that seems very unlikely.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It looked like efflorescence to me, too. There are no pipes behind the tile to leak. The bathroom does have high humidity after showers are taken. There is never condensation on the tile or grout after showers. Seal the grout?

Seal the grout and turn the vent on or open the winder

i think latex