+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy different paint colors different rooms HELP!

Me and my husband recently bought a beautiful old Center Hall Colonial and we are now in the process of painting our rooms. We chose a buttercream for our hall and living room. NOW WHAT? lol If we paint our dining room green and the room next to the living room another color, is that too many colors? Please help!

Default Re: different paint colors different rooms HELP!

I personally prefer to use one color throughout the home and use furniture and window dressings to add style and grace. It is not uncommon to paint a single wall in a room a different color to bring life into a room.

I would not suggest painting each room in the house a different color, it gets too busy and decorating can quickly become a nightmare.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: different paint colors different rooms HELP!

If the layout of the house is such that one can stand in a single spot and see several areas at once, without some visual break, some coordination is neccessary. However, older center hall homes were often broken up by defined wood framed arches and even doors or pocket doors. In this situation, the areas somewhat become areas unto themselves.

Old, late 1800 Victorians would commonly have strong wall paper patterns in adjoining rooms, not just color changes. Of course, the "parlor" would often have pocket doors to close off the room.

I do like a common treatment of woodwork throughout a house. I really dislike a hall door opening into a room which has different color woodwork. I also dislike dissimilar wood stains which come together.

In recent times, "open layouts" have become in vogue. Natural cut-off points are lacking. Here, uniform colors are definitely in order.

But I am merely a humble former paint contractor

Default Re: different paint colors different rooms HELP!

Thank you so much for the input!!! It truly helped!!!