Default Water softener leaking from the top

We bought our house 2 years ago and it came with a softener system, it has 2 cylinders (one bigger than other) and a seperate salt tank. We have noticed that lately it has developed a small drip from the top of the bigger cylinder where the settings are. It has a bypass that pushes in from one side, I pushed it in to bypass but it still leaks. I have also unplugged it. I have read that there are O rings that go bad and need to be replaced, but not sure how to get to them. I would like to try and repair myself, but need some guidance on how to open it up and see if there are some rings or washers that need to be replaced. I also don't know why it is still leaking if it is on bypass, is there still water pressure in it? Or does the bypass not work? If I could just stop the leak somehow and then just fix it at a later time, it would save us from wasting water. I am not familiar with these systems, it is our first. Is there directions or video somewhere that I can follow? Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Water softener leaking from the top

Can you send a picture?

You can send it via email to our member JLMCDANIEL and he will post it for you.

I will get a picture tonight when I am home, I am new to this site, how do I find JLMCDANIEL's email? Thanks

Please let me know how I can post a picture, I do not have 10 posts yet. Thanks

First I have sent you an e-mail you can reply to it and attach your pictures and I will post them for you.

One note, by-passing the unit still leaves it pressurized so it will leak until the pressure is relieved. If it is a small leak that could take a while. If you know the make and model of the unit you can search the web for parts or check with the local supplier who may or may not be willing to sell parts.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack,

I just sent pictures. Is there a quick way to relieve the pressure? I will check out the make and model, I haven't found that info yet. Do you know if there is a diagram or something on the web that shows how to take it apart to find the parts that need to be replace? Also, do I need to relieve the pressure first before I open it up? Thanks

Here are the pics.

To release the pressure you need to shut the water off to the sotener, do not put in by pass, and open a faucet. Once the pressure is released you can switch to by-pass and turn the water back on..

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I will try that tonight, thanks