+ Reply to Thread

Smile Deck material???????????

I'm building a deck this spring and was going to use a composite material because of the no maintenance claims. After reading about problems with some of the composites now i'm not sure what material to use. I have seen on episodes of This Old House they have used the composites but not sure what manufacturers they used. I live in Michigan so I get snow and ice so it needs to be durable. I built a deck on my previous house out of treated lumber but my small children would get slivers in their feet so I would like to stay away from treated lumber. Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: Deck material???????????

there are quite a few different composite products on the market. i have used a few. the worst being timbertech. the best ive used and will continue to use is azec.

you are right about different products. some of the companies have addressed and have either fixed it or in the process of fixing the product. others have simply gone under. your best bet is to contact a local high end deck builder or high end general contractor and ask them which product they've had the best results and least call backs on
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I've had good luck with redwood planks over treated framing. The redwood has to be cleaned and stained every few years, and with proper care lasts many years.

Those that I have run across and come up short are the true "composites". These are made from recycled
    plastic and fillers such as common sawdust. Some of the original composite manufacturers have started encapsulating their original products with a coat of virgin plastic. I would think that this would be an improvement. Trek is one such maker.

If I had my choice, and could afford the premium price for it, I would go with one of those products made from virgin extruded PVC plastic. Many manage to embed a faux wood grain into the extruded plastic. Many of these also utilize a hidden clamp system so that no fasteners are visible.

Thanks for the feed back. I will have to check out the extruded pvc. I was looking at redwood or a teak but the cleaning and staining seems like a big headache. Thanks for the info.

Have you considered a paverdeck. These decks are made from galvanized steel and finished in stone or concrete pavers. Search them on youtube or their website. Perfect for a northern climate.