+ Reply to Thread

Default GFCI wall outlet not resetting

Last night we had a bit of a storm with some lightning. I heard a loud pop that sounded like a breaker. We still had power, but I went ahead and check the two panels we have. All breakers were in the on position. Then I checked the two GFCI outlets we have. One needed to be tested/reset and it then worked fine. The other would not test/reset.

I guess my basic question is, is it time to replace the one outlet? A yellow light is on. When I push in the reset button, it just pops right back out.

Also, if I do have to replace it and it is currently a GFCI, it will be a direct swap correct?

Default Re: GFCI wall outlet not resetting

GFCI's are vary sensitive and probably needs replacement but before you do - take the time to make sure the breakers were turned all the way off then all the way back on first. Some breakers trip 'half way' and need to be turned all the way off before properly resetting themselves. Its worth a try before you head to the big box store.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    GFCI's are vary sensitive and probably needs replacement but before you do - take the time to make sure the breakers were turned all the way off then all the way back on first. Some breakers trip 'half way' and need to be turned all the way off before properly resetting themselves. Its worth a try before you head to the big box store.
    Ditto and just immagine if you had a freezer on a GFCI in the basement. Always a good idea to check things out after a storm.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Thanks!
    Went home last night, tested/reset it again, and it is now working.