Hybrid View

Default LED Recessed Light Goes Out

I had three canned ceiling lights (75W fixtures) that I recently replaced with LED recessed lights. They are all on the same switch. The first indication of trouble was that they could not be dimmed with either a conventional dimmer or an LED dimmer. They would not dim, but would flicker when set low, then go out all at once. Then one of the three began shutting off shortly after being turned on. Now the third light never comes on.

I am inclined to think there are too many lights on the same circuit. Any ideas as to what might be the problem or what could be done to fix it?

Default Re: LED Recessed Light Goes Out

I believe the LED lights draw such a small amount of current that a special dimmer will be required to control them.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

did you buy dimmable LED's? Not all are dimmable. Check with the manufacturer.

Our latest favorites are made by Cree and available at Home Burrito.

They are dimmable LEDs (at least according to the box, EcoSmart brand) and I tried an LED-rated dimmer (Lutron Toggler).

IMHO EcoSmart doesn't have the highest quality control if you catch my meaning. Switch to regular incandescents and see if the fixtures start working again. If they do, then get yourself some new Cree's

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    IMHO EcoSmart doesn't have the highest quality control if you catch my meaning. Switch to regular incandescents and see if the fixtures start working again. If they do, then get yourself some new Cree's
    What Houston said

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com