+ Reply to Thread

Default LED Recessed Light Goes Out

I had three canned ceiling lights (75W fixtures) that I recently replaced with LED recessed lights. They are all on the same switch. The first indication of trouble was that they could not be dimmed with either a conventional dimmer or an LED dimmer. They would not dim, but would flicker when set low, then go out all at once. Then one of the three began shutting off shortly after being turned on. Now the third light never comes on.

I am inclined to think there are too many lights on the same circuit. Any ideas as to what might be the problem or what could be done to fix it?

Default Re: LED Recessed Light Goes Out

I believe the LED lights draw such a small amount of current that a special dimmer will be required to control them.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

did you buy dimmable LED's? Not all are dimmable. Check with the manufacturer.

Our latest favorites are made by Cree and available at Home Burrito.

They are dimmable LEDs (at least according to the box, EcoSmart brand) and I tried an LED-rated dimmer (Lutron Toggler).

IMHO EcoSmart doesn't have the highest quality control if you catch my meaning. Switch to regular incandescents and see if the fixtures start working again. If they do, then get yourself some new Cree's

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    IMHO EcoSmart doesn't have the highest quality control if you catch my meaning. Switch to regular incandescents and see if the fixtures start working again. If they do, then get yourself some new Cree's
    What Houston said

Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

I was mistaken - the brand was Commercial Electric, part number T91.

The light itself was bad. I confirmed this by taking it down and screwing the socket connector into a table lamp. Didn't light up.

Home Depot was kind enough to allow me to exchange the light with no receipt or packaging.

When I went to install the replacement, one of the wires popped out of the connector! It looked like the solder was never melted. So I cut the other wire off the connector and pigtailed the wires together with wire nuts.

With this repair, the new light works, but they still do not dim, even with the Lutron LED-rated dimmer. I am satisfied with the light but it seems as if there are some kinks still to be worked out of this technology.

I completed installation of six T91 lights 11/16/2012, operating just fine on one dimmer, Cooper Wiring Devices D106P. It was an alternate-bulb placement in good IC-rated can lights, SO EASY. The manufacturer of the lights, Lighting Science Group Corp, has quietly upgraded features of the lights progressively showing up on Home Depot shelves. Please see much discussion of the wonderful T91 lights by Google search: "energyconservationhowto LED Plate Light."

Try the improved lights today. I'm sure you will find no problems,

Quote Originally Posted by Artemus Ward View Post
    I was mistaken - the brand was Commercial Electric, part number T91.

The light itself was bad. I confirmed this by taking it down and screwing the socket connector into a table lamp. Didn't light up.

Home Depot was kind enough to allow me to exchange the light with no receipt or packaging.

When I went to install the replacement, one of the wires popped out of the connector! It looked like the solder was never melted. So I cut the other wire off the connector and pigtailed the wires together with wire nuts.

With this repair, the new light works, but they still do not dim, even with the Lutron LED-rated dimmer. I am satisfied with the light but it seems as if there are some kinks still to be worked out of this technology.
    I too like to deal with HD.

And, I too have not been too impressed with "dimmable" CFL's or LED's.

But I'm glad you were able to achieve a limited success.
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Look for an electrical supply house that sells to electricians. Most of them will sell retail with a minimum order of $25-50.

They'll have better quality (though more expensive) brands of LED lighting available, and they'll have the knowledge to equip you with the proper dimmer that will work with the LED lamps they sell.

(The industry needs to develop new standards for LED lamp shapes & fittings, like they did for incandescent. This will allow for innovative fixture designs and brand interchangeability. An LED lamp doesn't need to look like an A19 bulb.)

EDIT: Just realized this was an old thread that got woken up. The original poster will probably never see this reply.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.