+ Reply to Thread

Smile Fluorescent round 12 inch light

The house I am currently living in has two rooms with round 12 inch fluorescent light. Lately when the lights burn out I go and buy a new one and it does not want to come on or it burns out after a while. A local electrician suggested that they need a mechanism changed in it that costs around $48. The house was built in the 1950s and is a small house. This mechanism to my knowledge has never been changed since the house was built. I was wondering if the mechanism is obsolete or if it is still being manufactured?

Thank you.

Gerri

Default Re: Fluorescent round 12 inch light

It probably needs the ballast replaced. I imagine that the part is available from an electrical supply house. Ideally you would remove the unit and take it with you so the counterman can match or cross-reference a new one.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

True, the ballast is very in-efficient and soon it will no longer be available.

It would be much less expensive and safer to replace the fixture with a new one.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

What Maurice said plus;

a new fixture should make less noise.

Plus a new fixture is a faster, easier project that you might even like better in a newer style.

Once again Maurice show his value here

Phil

Instead of the ballast, it might be a starter. The starter is a little aluminum "can" about the diameter of a nickel and about 1.5" long, probably partially recessed into the fixture. Not all fluorescent fixtures have this, but if yours does, give it a counterclockwise twist and pull it out and replace it.

They are very inexpensive; new ones are plastic instead of aluminum.

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-42812.../dp/B000UX3Y46
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

You can still buy starters and magnetic ballasts on line, but with shipping they will cost more than those brand new fixtures with electronic ballasts.

Time to replace the fixtures.