+ Reply to Thread

Smile front black steel door

Our front door is made of steel and also faces south. We want the door to have a high gloss. Tried many times but not happy. The black is very dull. Help Max

Default Re: front black steel door

General Paint has a product called Weatherit. It comes in gloss.

Default Re: front black steel door

It's generally not a good idea to paint a door a dark color when it gets high sun exposure- all door manufacturers state his clearly and it usually voids their warranty too. But if you really have to, then you're going to want a premium exterior paint with the best anti-UV properties you can get. My personal choice is an oil-base Alkyd Enamel by any name-brand company. Surface prep is important here, if the paint underneath isn't well-bonded the new paint will come of with it. To extend the life of the finish you can wash and wax it with a car-type wax 3-4 times a year, but when you go to repaint in the future you'll have to get all that wax off to make the next coat bond.

This method seems to work well here in the sunny south when I can't convince the homeowner to use a more door-friendly color. Wax-maintained dark doors I've done have lasted 6+ years without much dulling, and down here that's as good as it gets.

Phil