+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default kohler shower diverter valve

Installed a new Kohler shower diverter valve it worked perfectly a couple of times then when I shut it off it began to leak. Contacted the supplier of the valve and they suggested to replace the plastic portion of the valve that inserts into the brass portion of the valve, which I did however the same exact thing happened. In each case I am working with brand new parts.

Default Re: kohler shower diverter valve

Have you flushed the lines?

What kind of Kohler faucet and diverter do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What kind of Kohler faucet and diverter do you have?
    Like I have said before that is the problem with Kohler they change so often is a nightmare trying to find parts. Here is a link to Kohler parts. Good luck finding what you need.

http://www.alfanoplumbingparts.com/p...ridgesItoO.pdf

John

Kohler faucets are truly the consumer's nightmare. We discussed it before on this forum.

The parts are so different for the different models, they are unreliable and very, very pricey with meaningless warranty (you'll get killed on 'labor').

Richmond71, If you can change your faucet, do it. You'll be ahead for the long run.

Kohler Shower Diverter Valve , lines have been flushed,about to install Mixer Cap Sp Kit part number GP77759 will be sent to me by the manufacturer Kohler. It will be the third Cap Assembly I've had on the Diverter. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

I hope you have better luck with your faucet then others have had. Here is a revue from another owner of your faucet.
    Quote-The Kohler Coralais shower valves are garbage. They will leak in 5-6 years guaranteed. It does not matter how often you use them either. I have two bathrooms with these units and one was used at least three times as much as the other and they both started leaking within 3 months of each other. This item does not usually solve the leak. You also need to get the GP500520 Kohler Pressure Balancing Unit which is another $40. You can try to get o-ring kits and replace every single part in it and it will still leak. It is outrageous how much these two parts cost.

The Item he is speaking about is the one you have been replacing.

John

After three attempts to correct the the Kohler diverter valve leak,with 2 temperature balancing units and 3 mixer caps 2 out of new diverter asm's the other was a kit from Kohler. In each case they all leaked with the water pressure on the lines but the handle on the faucet off. The is a brand new install never been used. It appears I'm going have to replace this diverter valve with another (which brand ????) I don't like this idea at all ..............brand.new tile and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by richmond71 View Post
    After three attempts to correct the the Kohler diverter valve leak,with 2 temperature balancing units and 3 mixer caps 2 out of new diverter asm's the other was a kit from Kohler. In each case they all leaked with the water pressure on the lines but the handle on the faucet off. The is a brand new install never been used. It appears I'm going have to replace this diverter valve with another (which brand ????) I don't like this idea at all ..............brand.new tile and etc.
    That is a hard decision to have to make. If you do change it think about going with Delta. They make a good product that I have been using for over 40 years. The cover plate on Delta is quite large and you may be able to replace it through the existing hole in the tile.
    Good luck
    John

You have to change both and it will leak again in the future guaranteed but you need the balancer and the mixer both and then install also helps to wipe the valve with very fine sand paper and flush then install with some new plumbers grease then put in the two pieces. http://www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine