Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: crawl space

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Cool crawl space

    I'll get right to the point . I have a cinderblock type wall for my crawl space in a fifty year old bungalow style house .The walls are starting sag creating an unlevel house making averything hard to close . Can I dig a basement pour a concrete wall all around and tie into the existing structure making it all even once again .Is that what they refer to as a type of underpinning .I saw a video on you tube and thought I would ask .Thanks

    Thanks for the responses but the question still remains ,is that what they refer to as a type of underpinning .
    Last edited by wannabe builder; 01-24-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: adding to story for clarification

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: crawl space

    Yes you can do what you say, but it is going to be very expensive to excavate for a basement after the home is already built. I would say you can pour footings where you need them, and take out the sags slowly with leveling posts,go very slowly if you don't want all the walls to crack, This would be a much cheaper alternative, if your crawlspace is tight to the ground then it will be a challange to dig under there and pour footings, but probably the most cost effective. If your in a dry/warm area then pre-cast footings may be all you need. Good Luck!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Pacific Northwet

    Default Re: crawl space

    Almost anything is possible. How much money do you have?

    Jacking up a house and putting a new foundation under it is a well-established process. It's not unlike moving a house from one location to another, except that you're not putting it on a dolly to move it. With house moving, the actual transportation is only a fraction of the total cost -- most of the expense is preparing the destination site with a foundation, the jacking, and lowering.

    Most construction contractors aren't equipped or experienced to take on this type of project; you want to look for house moving contractors or contractors specializing in retaining walls, foundation repair, or retrofit foundations.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts