+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tree roots

Default tree roots

I have this big old tree on the side of my house and the town owns it..The trees roots are lifting up my walkway and may get into my foundation what should i do its not my tree ..The town should pay for the removal.

Default Re: tree roots

Bring the problem up with your township. There should be a general utilities or a parks and rec. department that handles tree care. Usually they're pretty good about dealing with problems, especially when there is public safety involved such as a lifted sidewalk.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes the town should pay for removal, but they will not, unless the tree is dead and posing an imediate hazzard for personal injury, which they can become liable. The sidewalk can be repaired,but getting the town to pay for it in this economy is almost impossible.I had a similar situation in which the tree in front of my house cracked the sewer line and allowed a blockage and roots to grow, I had to pay to take the tree down after I got permission frome the city, because the tree was on the sidewalk and the sidewalk had to be opened up to repair the sewer line, thus underminig the stability of the tree, and then I had to re-cenent the sidewalk myself because the city said it would be 2 years before the budget would allow any street repairs beyond emergency repair. So if you want the tree down you will have to get permission from the town, if they deem it is neccessary! Good Luck!

Cities and towns are different in the way they handle their trees. Call your townhall to find out how they are going to handle the tree, the roots, the sidewalk and your damage.

Hope for some help, but expect nothing.

In my city, public trees lose large branches in high winds, some fall on parked cars. The city is very slow in reacting, giving you the impression that it's your fault. Unlike SPRUCE'S city.

Quote Originally Posted by jled96 View Post
    Yes the town should pay for removal, but they will not, unless the tree is dead and posing an imediate hazzard for personal injury, which they can become liable. The sidewalk can be repaired,but getting the town to pay for it in this economy is almost impossible.I had a similar situation in which the tree in front of my house cracked the sewer line and allowed a blockage and roots to grow, I had to pay to take the tree down after I got permission frome the city, because the tree was on the sidewalk and the sidewalk had to be opened up to repair the sewer line, thus underminig the stability of the tree, and then I had to re-cenent the sidewalk myself because the city said it would be 2 years before the budget would allow any street repairs beyond emergency repair. So if you want the tree down you will have to get permission from the town, if they deem it is neccessary! Good Luck!

Thanks you for the post.

Go purchase some rock salt, liquid detergent & vinegar. Grind the salt up real fine then add water,vinegar and detergent and mix. Pour the mixture on the base of the trunk and around the base of the tree. Repeat every 2 weeks.

Note: the salt residue will be visible on the trunk and ground. If the city questions you blame it on the neighbor hood dogs.

You can bet the tree will die and force the city to remove it.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Cities are so strapped for money these days (at least that's what they're telling us...), that unless a dead tree or branch is blocking traffic, they won't come to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Cities are so strapped for money these days (at least that's what they're telling us...),
    There is always plenty of money to piss away, but never enough for what is needed. Why is that?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There is always plenty of money to piss away, but never enough for what is needed. Why is that?
    In California, it's payroll, pensions and corrupted city contracts. City contracts are often awarded without taking bids. Did I mention payroll?

I just read that Detroit, which has been in the red since who knows when, keeps over 100 police vehicles on expired leases (so they pay penalties on top of the excessive payments) costing them $65,000 each car, since 2005. Somebody is syphoning and pumping public funds, with a smile.