+ Reply to Thread

Default Repair shower diverter on old Delex

I have an old (circa 1970's) Delex single handle faucet on my bathtub/shower. Directly under the faucet handle is a chrome push-button assembly that operates the shower diverter. Currently water runs out of both the shower head and the tub spout. I do not know what the design of the converter unit is and I would like to know more information before I tear into it and find that it can't be repaired. Is the shower converter unit easily repairable, as in washer replacement, or does it require replacing a cartridge or something? I would prefer repairing it as opposed to removing tile and replacing the faucet assembly.

Default Re: Repair shower diverter on old Delex

Your defective diverter can be replaced. Remove the cover plate and inspect. Usually it can be unscrewed and removed. Whats the condition of the faucet itself? maybe it would be better to replace the body, since it's very old?

Another option is to replace the tub spout with one that has a diverter built in.

Hi dj1,

I suppose ideally one would replace the entire unit due to its age but it appears to be in very good condition. It has never caused a problem of any sort for 38 years until this shower diverter problem. So when I open this up I am looking at replacing the entire diverter assembly as opposed to repairing the existing one? Do you know anything about the availability of replacement parts? I try to have an idea what I'm getting into before I start the project. I'm aware of the potential for unexpected problems when dealing with old plumbing. To the extent possible I would like to have replacement parts already on hand or at least know where I can get them. It's always a better alternative than having a mad wife because the shower doesn't work.

I forgot to mention the tub spout with the diverter in the spout. I was aware this was a possible alternative. I prefer to repair/replace the existing one if possible. If I have to go with the spout diverter arrangement, what do I do with the existing diverter? Remove it and cap it, or can I just install the spout diverter and leave the old one in place?

Call Delta's 800# and tell them your looking for there push button diverter. They will ship you one free of charge. The part # is RP5649-chrome. Like dj1 said just remove the cover plate an unscrew the old one to remove it. Delta faucets can always be repaired.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 01-19-2012 at 04:58 PM.

If you don't want to mess with replacing the defective diverter, and you want to install a new spout with a built in diverter, you just leave the old defective diverter in place in the open position. That's all.

Thanks dj1 for the additional info on the spout diverter setup.

Thanks johnjh20 for the suggestion to call Delta. I called them and the customer service rep knew right away the part I needed. It wasn't free because the warranty is only for 20 years and my faucet is about 37 years old. Regularly $24 but he gave me a 25%discount for whatever reason so it came to $18 and free shipping. I might have found it cheaper somewhere else but at least I'm reasonably sure I will have the right part this way. He said the old unit should just screw out of the assembly. If it didn't want to come loose I should soak it in a mixture of white vinegar and water to loosen it.

I think I'm probably good to go unless anyone has some more thoughts or advice. If not, thanks guys. I really appreciated your help.