+ Reply to Thread

Default Chimney Surrounds: Opinions please!

We installed a manufactured fireplace about 10 years ago (we love it), and I'm getting tired of looking at the "rocket launcher" metal chimney that juts out of the roof. Any suggestions on what works best for looks but most of all, safety? The single story house has weathered cedar shakes but I can't figure out what material to use for the future chimney surround. Should we try it ourselves or break down and hire a pro?

Thanks!
    rosie

Default Re: Chimney Surrounds: Opinions please!

You might want to contact the manufacturer of the fireplace to see if they have a more decorative type exhaust stack which more resembles a chimney.

If the existing stack is double lined, zero clearance all the way to the top, I don't know why it not could be boxed in by a good carpenter or talented DIY'er. The trickiest part would be getting it set to the roof and properly flashed, especially around those old cedar shingles.
    You will probably end up with a few virgin shingles which will just have to age in color. Cabot's does sell an aging liquid which will turn new shingles gray faster.

Oh you clever man! Your bride is a lucky girl! Thanks for the great ideas Mr. Ordjen! Can't wait to hit the lottery so I can finance all the stuff that want doing at our little house!
    -Rosie

The great things about framing the chimney are that you can finish its exterior to match the house and it's relatively inexpensive.

I don't know how skilled you are, but this job is above most handymen, because it involves multiple trades. So to avoid possible future complications hire trustworthy contractors.