+ Reply to Thread

Default No Hot Water in Upstairs Shower

I recently found out that the shower in my main bathroom does not produce any hot water. I have a double sink in the same bathroom and hot water is present there. My home is about 5-6 years old and I don't know why this is happening. Not sure what I should be looking for/at? I called a plumber for an estimate but am worried that the job may be something that I could possibly fix myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: No Hot Water in Upstairs Shower

What make faucet is it? It could be as simple as replacing a cartridge.

John

Your problem is most likely in the shower faucet, as mentioned by John. If you are experienced and handy you can replace the stem/cartridge yourself from inside the shower.
    If problem not solved, it has to be in the hot water supply to the faucet (inside the wall).

John, it's a Moen faucet. When the plumber came, he took the faucet apart (is that the 'stem' that you were referring to DJ1?, removed the washer (which was fine), turned it to the cold and hot setting. The water came out however, there was no hot water. He thinks there may be a problem with the pipe line? I am really not that familiar with plumbing repairs. Where is the cartridge located?

Does your faucet have one handle? If yes, then you have a cartridge sitting inside the body.

What exactly did the plumber do?

I'd start by changing the cartridge. Then, if the problem persists, go to step 2: deal with the hot supply pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox View Post
    John, it's a Moen faucet. When the plumber came, he took the faucet apart (is that the 'stem' that you were referring to DJ1?, removed the washer (which was fine), turned it to the cold and hot setting. The water came out however, there was no hot water. He thinks there may be a problem with the pipe line? I am really not that familiar with plumbing repairs. Where is the cartridge located?
    There are two types of Moen stems for single lever faucets. One is the 1225 the other is the 1222. The 1222 is there posi temp which is probably the one your looking for seeing your home is fairly new. You can get the stem you need free of charge shipped to your home by calling Moen's 800#. Get on Moen's site for the 800#. They will help you identify the one you need.

John

Thank you dj and John for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

It's a Moen single faucet handle. The guy that came didn't actually look at or pull the stem/cartridge out. He just removed the faucet handle, looked behind it, and ran the water. He said that it may be the hot water pipe but wasn't exactly sure since he didn't have any equipment with him and wouldn't know for sure until he starts the actual work. At the time, I wasn't sure what he was looking at either, but, thanks to you and John, at least now I know what specific questions to ask.

Also, when removing the stem, should the cartridge also come out at the same time? I'm assuming they are 2 separate pieces but are connected at the time of assembly/removal?

With Moen faucets the stem is the cartridge.

John

Thanks John, I really appreciate all of your advice!