+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing vinyl veneer on a vinyl clad wood core slider

Hello!

A friend of mine owns a home in the Outer Banks, NC. They have heavy-duty sliding doors meant to withstand hurricanes.

The doors appear to be wood with vinyl panels glued to the outside. One of the doors has the vinyl peling off and it's just starting to affect the wood.

I was thinking that I could remove the failing, damaged vinyl, repair the wood damage (if any) and glue another vinyl piece to the door and get another year or two out of it.

But I can't find out where to purchase 1/16" or 1/32" thick PVC exterior vinyl. I'd like to glue it on and flush cut it to the door with a router.

If I can't find the vinyl, I'll make the wood repairs and just paint the wood with several coats of a marine paint my dad calls "the good stuff".

Anyone else have this problem? At this time, replacing the door is out of the question from a financial standpoint. I'm just trying to buy him some time and have it look decent.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Replacing vinyl veneer on a vinyl clad wood core slider

Google 'vinyl pvc strip' and find a supplier with what you need.

Default Re: Replacing vinyl veneer on a vinyl clad wood core slider

Vinyl products are generally maintenance free.... meaning disposeable. If it's over 10-15 years old it may be past it's useable service life. The PVC is seam welded or shrink heated to form to the wood under it. The wood can;t breath and PVC is vapor permeable to eventually, moisture will get into the wood and cause problems. PVC also expands at a different rate than wood whne heated as well.

MY guess is one of the seam welds has a leak, moisture got in and expanded the wood and split the PVC cladding.

TO make matters worse, when exposed to direct sun, PVC when it reaches about 150F will start to warp. Over time even with UV stabilizers, it will become brittle.

But your repair might extend it's life a few more years.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical