+ Reply to Thread

Default Cracks around windows and doors

My house is only about 20 yrs old but I keep having cracks appear around the edges of the windows and doors extending vertically to the celing and/or floor. I know what caused them (lousy drywall job), but how do I permanently fix them, or at least for a few yrs, instead of geting out the drywall compound every 6 mths.

Default Re: Cracks around windows and doors

This is a common problem.

You fix drywall cracks (up to 1/4") by cleaning the crack and form a v shape groove, apply mesh and fill with mud/spackle. Let it dry, sand and apply another coat. Repeat as necessary.

sounds like you have some structural issues. but dont quote me on that.

regarding the crack filling. you cant just use spackle as its only a light compound designed to smooth out joints. you should do the v-out method first but use sheetrock 90 for your first coat. this is what gives the joint strength. it dries much harder and stronger it will resist cracking more better than a simply skim coat compound. use the compound for your final coats to feather out the joint
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    sounds like you have some structural issues. but dont quote me on that.
    This is my concern as well. If these cracks have been repaired properly once and they're reappearing, the structure is moving and should be assessed to figure out why.

If all that has happened is a little paint spackle was smeared over the crack, then go with a proper repair first and see how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You can get elastomeric joint compound or elastomeric caulking instead to fill in your v groove over the mesh.
    For the second application, use all purpose mud and for the last one, use topping mud. See if the cracks return, and if they do report back.

Is this a seam that has broken open at the edge of the drywall board, or is it drywall that has snapped? If it has snapped, I would be tempted to take out a section of drywall and replace it with a piece big enough to go to the next stud, spanning the formerly snapped area. The old piece continues to open up because it no longer has structural integrity. The slightest movement will break it open. Assuming the house is through with settling, the new drywall should tolerate slight movement.