+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help

Default help

I live in a 112 year old house and all the rooms except the kitchen bathroom.and dining room have hardwood floors the rooms mention have the old style vinyl flooring. That stuff needs to go. What do you suggest I put on the floor. I really wanted the vinyl that resembles stone but will that look funny given the age of the house?

Default Re: help

Nothing looks funny if you like it. It's your house, so you can do whatever you want in it.

Linoleum was invented in 1855. So sheet goods are not necessarily out of the question for that age of house.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

For the bathroom, a period correct floor would be the 1" hex tile in white with a dark grey or black grout. This takes a real artist as the grout lines have to be perfect or it will show. I am baffled by people who own old houses with this in the bathroom, and they want to take it up.

A lower cost alternative, also for the period is a 3 or 4" white hex tile with white grout. Not near as costly to put down, but a lot more forgiving with the grout lines.

Linoleum is still available and would be a good choice for the kitchen. For the dining room, wood floors would be the way to go.