+ Reply to Thread

Default Vibrating pipes again

About a year ago I had a new dishwasher installed. Now when the dishwasher fills the water pipes start vibrating. If I turn on the hot water at the kitchen sink the vibrating stops. Prior to the new dishwasher being installed this problem did not occur and it began about two months after the installation. What can be done to correct this?

Default Re: Vibrating pipes again

Howdy, consider removing an area of the wall to expose the pipes and install more pipe strapping. Or i have had luck straying foam insulation around the pipes and to the studs as the foam anchors the posts or spry foam where the pipes enter threw the floor. I used the triple expanding foam in a spray can.

Sounds like you may have a bad water supply solenoid in the dishwasher that is allowing its plunger to vibrate and cause the water pipes in turn to vibrate. Replace the water supply solenoid and if this does not solve the problem then check your water supply pressure to make sure it does not exceed 50-60 psi. In fact, you may want to check the pressure first. If it is too high you may need to install a pressure regulator in your water service line.

Thanks for the input. Just ran the dishwasher again tonight. It seems like I had to increase the water flow, compared to previous times, at the sink to stop the vibration. It appears to be getting worse. I don't have a water pressue gauge and since it wasn't happening with the old diswasher or when this one was first installed I may go for replacing the solenoid. Ripping out the walls and foaming everything is a little drastic at this point.

We had vibrating pipes and our pressure regulator from the water coming into house was bad. Our dishwasher and our auto icemaker both were damaged before we figured it out. Just a thought, you might want to make sure water pressure is correct(if you haven't already done this, we have city water) Ours was 120 psi when it should have no more than 65psi.

Quote Originally Posted by tkoger View Post
    We had vibrating pipes and our pressure regulator from the water coming into house was bad. Our dishwasher and our auto icemaker both were damaged before we figured it out. Just a thought, you might want to make sure water pressure is correct(if you haven't already done this, we have city water) Ours was 120 psi when it should have no more than 65psi.
    Mine was serious hammer when the sprinkler system started and did not figure it out until I had a mandatory water meter replacement done at which time the pressure was checked. It was way to high. I replaced the regulator and all was well.