+ Reply to Thread

Default Lack of water pressure from my hot water tank

My house and electric water heater is about 16 yrs old. The house has been empty off and on most of that time. The house was rented last May and all of the water pressure was fine. I moved back in last September and have had this problem from the beginning. The only water pressure problem is with the hot water. All points of use, kitchen, 2 baths, and washer have the same problem. The flow of hot water is not as big as a straw. The cold water is fine. Does anyone have any ideas???
    Thanks

Default Re: Lack of water pressure from my hot water tank

Did you by chance turn off the valve on the water heater? If you did and it is a gate valve there is a good chance the valve is broken in a partially closed position. It could also be a restriction in the piping it self. What type pipe is in the home? If it's galvanized it may be time to replace it.

John

Another possible place to check is the hot side nipple coming out of the water heater.

Besides, your water heater is almost done at 16 years old. It may have nineral and sediment buildup inside to restrict water flow.

Yes your tank is probably spent, probably rusted inside and heavy sediment build up, if you have copper pipes the water being heated will cause reaction with the pipes and create pinholes, if the anode rod has already been depleated. Get a new tank and back flush the lines and clean all areators and diverters to clear sediment. Good Luck!

Rule of thumb for any homeowner: Be aware of the anode rod. Your tank could have possibly lasted another 10-15 years should the anode rod had been replaced. If this is a problem, (anodes can be permanently rusted in or corroded in depending on age) be sure to get a glass lined tank. Some tanks have a "glass" lining which could really be just a thin layer of ceramic, However you can find tanks with solid 1 inch thick glass linings if you look.