+ Reply to Thread

Default Can't remove old tripwaste from tub

We have an older home (1958), and I'm not sure how old the tub is (maybe 70s?). The tub recently started to drain very slowly, so in an effort to snake it out, I removed the overflow plate but I can't get the tripwaste out. Unlike many of the other configurations I've seen in other threads and in a book, this one seems to be one piece. There is no plug in the drain, just a metal bar that goes across the hole. This bar is connected to the tripwaste I am trying to remove through the overflow. It almost seems like it's one L-shaped piece of metal. Is there any way to get this out and snake the pipes through the overflow? I've tried to fit the snake in as it is, but it gets down to the drain area and stops because of the tripwaste being the way. I can't find anything about anyone having a similar issue with an older fixture. Any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: Can't remove old tripwaste from tub

If there is no stopper viable in the tub shoe. Then what you should have is two rods attached to the face plate leading down to a plunger. It sounds like something is broken. If you can post a picture it may help.

John

You probably have a broken linkage in your trip lever. If you remove the cover plate and the rod won't come out try using a long nose plier to bring it up and out. It has 2 rods and a plunger.

Time for creative maneuvering here to extract the entire assembly out. If you fail, you will have replace it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try some maneuvering with long nose pliers. Behind the faceplate is one rod with a hole in the top. It wasn't connected to the plate. When I pull up on the rod, it does lift, but then catches at the point that the rod in the bottom (drain area) hits the top of the bend. From what you've said, it sounds like they are two rods linked up at that point. Maybe the linkage is corroded preventing it from separating?

The rods are brass they shouldn't be corroded. There is a plunger connected to them. If the rod came off the plate then the plunger is in the closed position that is why the tub isn't draining. Once you get them removed all should be well.

John