+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Draft above 1st Floor Ceiling

We live in a renovated 1925 built Colonial in NJ. I had to cut some hole into the kitchen ceiling, while planning the repair, I noticed that there is a cold draft passing between the ceiling the 2nd story floor. This also explains why the floor in the 2nd story is very cold, esp. in the bathroom which is above the kitchen.

Any idea where that could be coming from?

I thought that maybe the cold air comes up from the basement (yet cold air should travel down not up). Does insulated the bathroom floor help?
    I also read a post that this is a good sign for air circulation, so I am hesitant do just insulate the space. But it feels strange to have an ice cold air drafting between your ceiling and floor and I winder what does to our heating bill.

I appreciate any ideas and information.

Default Re: Draft above 1st Floor Ceiling

their could missing insulation in the wall which is causing the draft or creating a stack effect
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The ceiling joist bays may not be sealed off to the eaves/attic spaces. Which is typical. If air can move, so can fire. Fireblocking plus insulation is a good plan.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I also live in an older home (early 1930s), and I notice a draft coming from the baseboards on the first floor (cold air from either the basement or the walls) and I attribute this to lack of insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida View Post
    We live in a renovated 1925 built Colonial in NJ. I had to cut some hole into the kitchen ceiling, while planning the repair, I noticed that there is a cold draft passing between the ceiling the 2nd story floor. This also explains why the floor in the 2nd story is very cold, esp. in the bathroom which is above the kitchen.

Any idea where that could be coming from?

I thought that maybe the cold air comes up from the basement (yet cold air should travel down not up). Does insulated the bathroom floor help?
    I also read a post that this is a good sign for air circulation, so I am hesitant do just insulate the space. But it feels strange to have an ice cold air drafting between your ceiling and floor and I winder what does to our heating bill.
    It's not a good thing to have this cold drafty air. You're correct in feeling this isn't normal because it isn't.

I appreciate any ideas and information.
    Depending on who and how the home was renovated always raises red flags for me.

You shouldn't need to insulate between the two levels --- maybe for sound control but not for thermal reasons .

If there is a cold drafty condition then an avenue for outside air is entering the cavity and needs to be sealed. Simply adding insulation -- fiberglass batt for example -- won't do anything to stop the cold drafty moving air. There may not be enough air seal and insulation inside the wall cavity which probably opens to the ceiling/floor cavity.

It's difficult for anyone here to say for sure where the problem is sight unseen.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thumbs up Re: Draft above 1st Floor Ceiling

Thank you to everyone who commented. I understand that this is remote advice and difficult without actually seeing the situation. It helped a lot, and I have an idea on how to proceed.