+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Using spray foam on steel bathtub

We are renovating our bathroom and are about to install a new porcelain on steel bathtub. We were thinking about spraying around the sides of the tub with expanding foam insulation for support and heat retention. My concern is how much the foam expands and could that distort and crack the tub. It seems there would be plenty of ways for the foam to expand in other directions. ALSO we were thinking about doing this before we install the tub so we can trim off excess and minimize pressure problems. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Default Re: Using spray foam on steel bathtub

your better off not risking it. put down some rigid foam in side the tub shell. you can use a small can of spray foam to adhere the rigid though
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If you apply foam BEFORE you install the tub, I doubt that you could fit the tub in place.

If the tub is sitting next to an exterior wall, just insulate the wall to code. Don't forget to install an access door for future plumbing repairs.

Thanks for the input. I did put a layer of foam on the tub to help damper the sound and we will stuff it with fiberglass insulation after we install it (Access through open walls). I don't think there will be a fit problem as the foam is not protruding beyond the lip of the tub... if there is, I guess I'll have to sc**** it off. Thank you again.

Should be fine steel is pretty durable I have done this with fiberglass tubs I did use window and door though to not over expand I am a plumber and if you were worried like I said use window and door it doesn't over expand but sounds like you got it!

expanding foam should not distort a steel tub, but to be sure take (3) 5 gal buckets, fill them with water to the top. put them next to each other in the tub, then inject foam under tub. the weight of the water buckets will prevent any distortion of tub. I do this in fiberglass tubs allot, works fine.

best of luck, Patrick from Resurface Spe******t of cape cod. tub refinishing experts