+ Reply to Thread

Default Can you paint counter tops?

I have (I think what is called Formica) counter tops, are those paintable? If so, what steps are taken to make them look seamless?

Default Re: Can you paint counter tops?

RustOleum makes a solvent based counter top paint for formica. It is tintable to many colors.It is applied with a dense foam roller. I would warn you that it really has a STRONG odor, kind of like model airplane dope. I believe it sells for about $20 per quart at Home Depot. It should cover about 25 running feet of counter. See: http://www.rustoleum.com/cbqresource...?sn=pro&pid=32

RustOleum also has a new product which ends up looking like a granite counter top. The process is much more involved and costs about $150 for the kit. It involves a base coat, sprinkling fine granite chips into the base and then coating with a clear coating.
    see: rustoleumtransformations.com/

Thank you!!!

Cool Re: Can you paint counter tops?

I think this depends on the textile you used on your countertops. What is yours made of?

Many of the bathtub refinishing firms will also epoxy your countertops. Personally I haven't ever seen a good job of this but if it's all you can afford it's better than having to look at the uglies for a few more years till you can install better ones. Whatever you coat with, be sure it is listed as "Food Safe" which most paints are not! And if you DIY, remember that the prepwork is the most important part of the job.

Phil

No you can't paint formica and expect it to hold up or look good on a countertop. Plastic laminate (formica) countertops arn't that expensive compared to the work & poor result of painting formica and then having to replace it anyway.