+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grout over caulk

I just moved into an old house that was refurbed with very shoddy work. I am trying to remove what I thought was grout between the tub and tiles and then use silcon caulk instead. I have discovered as I'm trying to remove it that they just slapped some grout over the existing caulk and I am having a VERY hard time getting it out! I'm using caulk removing tools, grout removing tools, a box cutter and a razor scraping device. Any ideas on how I can get this done more easily? This is my first DIY attempt ever! Not going well! Thanks!

Default Re: Grout over caulk

i utility knife and sharp 3/4" chisel works best, yes its hard but it requires plenty of patience and elbow grease
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Well I've managed to get out 1/2 of the short front side of the tub in 2 hrs and I've chipped the tile and scratched the tub I'm going to try the chisel next! What a shame they did such a shoddy job of remodeling this bathroom.

This is a tedious process that we all tend to try and rush, which is how the tile and tub get damaged. Take your time and use care and caution every step of the way. Take lots of breaks to maintain your patience.

In removing messes like you describe, I've used just about every tool under the sun. What works best is a grout knife, utility knife, paint scr aper (single edged razor blade with a handle), and an old wood chisel.

All of these implements will scratch and damage your tile and tub, so it is of the utmost importance to use them carefully. Sometimes damage is unavoidable, most of the time is because we get careless and try to rush - Don't do that!
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 01-13-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: DAMN word censor!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks you're right! I'm being more careful now and it's coming out without damage but it's just taking forever. I'm going to send my husband for a chisel when he gets home. This definitely takes patience!

Sue,

Welcome to DIY world. It's where whatever the pros are doing looks so easy.

Don't send your husband to the store. He'll bring home the wrong chisel.

You need a 3/4" WOOD chisel. That's it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome! I have so many projects to do that I'll be around here a lot!!

The gap between the bottom tiles and the tub is about 1/8" in most places and a little more in others (really sloppy job). Would a 3/4" chisel be too big??

3/4" refers to the width of the chisel blade. You'll be using the sharp end for scr aping. Also use your single edge and a putty knife to clean after the chisel.

Don't buy an expensive chisel either, I'm talking Dollar Store tools here. This is what I refer to as a crap tool, and I use one for all manner of destruction where all I need is a pointy thing for light scr aping. You are only going to destroy a good chisel by trying to scr ape grout with it, so don't even bother going there, a cheap one will do.

Two other things that you will probably find useful is a good terry rag and a wooden paint stirring stick. You can wrap the end of the chisel or a screw driver to remove tough spots of caulk without scratching or damaging the surface you're cleaning, same goes for the paint stick.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!