+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Grout over caulk

BTW, when you get to 15 posts, we expect to see pictures.

Now, get off the computer and get back to work!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

normally i dont argue with spruce about anything other than who makes better beer but in the case of the chisel i will

a cheap chisel is fine, however using a dull one will only cause problems. it wont cut as cleanly and will cause more effort.. when using a dull tool you will force it more which can slip either scratching the surface or risking injury. this past summmer i had to recaulk all the showers and tubs of 4 floors in one tower of residents at one of the local university's i tried dragging out the life of my chisels however found myself carrying 2 or 3 and having to sharpen them on every day.

i know guys that coat the caulking with acetone overnight which softens the silicone making it easier to remove however it is a very powerful solvent which isnt the best thing to be breathing
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    normally i dont argue with spruce about anything
    Not if you know what's good for you!

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree about needing a sharp chisel for "shaving" the old caulk. In this situation, however, it sounds more like a layer of grout needs to be removed before one can get to the caulk.

When I'm using a chisel on grout or slag of any type, I'm using it more to focus the force I'm applying in a manner that will "pop" the offending debris off. IMHO, a utility knife and paint sc****r will provide any cutting or shaving action needed so there is no need to hose my good chisels.

This might be a case where more than one method may work, but just in case, do it my way! (I'm completely teasing if that wasn't clear )
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

your american spruce... your way doesnt work
    fire up the saw and make some dust

i use a 5 way painters tool with a hammer head you have a choice of different sides to use also very sharp will least likely scrach the tub plus you have better control with the large handle best of luck
    Last edited by masterpainter; 01-16-2012 at 09:07 PM.

I use a utility knife with a brand new blade first slicing downward the sidways .....followed by a 1 inch putty knife to sc**** it off