+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Toilet won't seal

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    There is something else going on other then a flange that isn't level. Even if the flange was a 1/4" lower on one side then the other the wax seal would conform to it. Is the top of the flange below the level of the floor? If so then use two wax seals one on top of the other. Also is the flange screwed down to the floor? After you set the toilet is it sitting flat on the floor or does it rock? If the toilet rocks after being set the movement over time will destroy the seal. Concrete floors can be uneven and may require shimming the toilet after setting to prevent it from rocking.

John
    Ditto ............
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The toilet is of the new style that has no flange going down the drain. It is flush. That worries me, but I finally called in a plumber - he grumbled about it but admitted they usually work.

The idea about a crack or busted washer at the tank is a good one. I checked though, and no weeping at the bolts or drips from where the tank meets the bowl. I'm about at the point of just getting a new toilet - the cocntractor's crew could have banged it around a bit. Was fine for 2 years though. Maybe I need to lose weight or stop dancing on the tank...

The flange is PVC, but since this was a rehab by developer 4 years ago, who knows> I have noticed that the wall behind the toilet is settling - 1/4" below baseboard molding in ajoining room. Still, the floor is a flat surface. Could the settling cause the flange to twank out of level?

Yes it can.

You'll fare better by starting a thread and posting pictures on the Terry Love Plumbing Forum. Pictures will really help.