+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Toilet won't seal

I have replaced 1 toilet and at least 4 toilet rings on my toilet. The last time I doubled up on the ring but it still leaks. No, there are no cracks on the toilet.
    The toilet is installed on a concrete slab. The last time I was under there, I put a level on the flange in the floor. I found that the flange is not level and is lower on the right side. I'm at a loss. I'm about to try it again for the fifth time. Any suggestions before I do this again?

Question Re: Toilet won't seal

Have same problem - Mine is on Granite tile. the floor may have settled. Also have replaced the seal 4 or so times. Had a Plumber do it. Now I am thinking there may be a crack? A very slight damp area around toilet at all times. Help me too!

Default Re: Toilet won't seal

What kind of wax ring are you using?

First you need to find the source of the leak. It could be coming from one or two of many sources.

Find out and let us know.

If you had to replace 4 rings already I would replace that flange and make it level, I have seen pvc flanges crack and leak no matter what you do. If it is cast iron then you can just chisel out the old one and get an internal flange that seals against the inside of the pipe to complete the seal and use cement anchors to secure it to the floor. This involves many tools that the average homeowner doesn't have, so if it is more invoved than you like have your plumber do it! Good Luck!

There is something else going on other then a flange that isn't level. Even if the flange was a 1/4" lower on one side then the other the wax seal would conform to it. Is the top of the flange below the level of the floor? If so then use two wax seals one on top of the other. Also is the flange screwed down to the floor? After you set the toilet is it sitting flat on the floor or does it rock? If the toilet rocks after being set the movement over time will destroy the seal. Concrete floors can be uneven and may require shimming the toilet after setting to prevent it from rocking.

John

Check the bolts that hold the tank onto the bowl. I recently repaired a toilet that appeared to have a leak at the seal, but it was really the rubber washers inside the tank had failed. A very thin stream was running down the back of the toilet and appearing to come from the base.

Check or replace the spud washer (it's a thick, foamy washer that's between the tank and the bowl), too.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I had a troublesome toilet which leaked on and off for years in my own home. I finally installed a Sani-Seal ring and haven't had a problem yet.

sanisealgasket dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Check the bolts that hold the tank onto the bowl. I recently repaired a toilet that appeared to have a leak at the seal, but it was really the rubber washers inside the tank had failed. A very thin stream was running down the back of the toilet and appearing to come from the base.

Check or replace the spud washer (it's a thick, foamy washer that's between the tank and the bowl), too.
    Toilet is new. Wet area drys out over night. Wet appears after repeated flushings during the day.

Robert,

You still don't tell us where you spot the leak.

It's possible you have a hairline crack, almost invisible.

You could have crack at the waste horn, I have seen this many times. There caould also be a leak at the tank bolts, or a crack if somebody over tightened the bolts. many of the never toilets have agasket that the bolts pass through, these can tear/ split if the bolts are too tight. A leak from the tank should be easy to find, put some food coloring in the tank and flush away, if you see/ feel anything running down the back of the toilet there is your leak. Good Luck!