+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing recessed lighting.

Is it possible to replace recessed lighting with a pendant light where the new canopy is smaller than the existing recessed light halo (the thing that covers the hole in the ceiling and where the light bulb comes out). I bought the new pendants sight un-seen.

Default Re: replacing recessed lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by moromoro View Post
    Is it possible to replace recessed lighting with a pendant light where the new canopy is smaller than the existing recessed light halo (the thing that covers the hole in the ceiling and where the light bulb comes out). I bought the new pendants sight un-seen.
    Patch the hole...then make a smaller one?

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

I'm a novice, but it seems you will also need to install a ceiling fixture box for the pendant light. If the current recessed light hat box is between 2 joists, you will have to position the new fixture box over the hole and complexity depends on whether you have access to the ceiling from above.

I had a flat (foam) roof house that every ordinary change was impossible because there was no roof/topside or foundation access. I could not pull additonal circuits, add new outlets except by tapping existing ones, or add ceiling boxes; nothing, but we liked the house better than the new McMansions.

Retrofit pendants are available for recessed fixtures.